Kortnie

Kortnie
Kortnie at the 2011 JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, Tempe Town Lake, Tempe, AZ

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Late Night Conversations

Sometimes at night when I go into Kortnie's room to check her blood sugar she half way wakes up.  When she does, she usually has something funny to say.  Last night made me smile.

I went into her room and she must have been lightly sleeping, because before I could even climb up on the stool I keep by her bed (she sleeps in a top bunk) she sat up in bed.  She was holding her stuffed giraffe.  She handed it to me while I was getting her poker out and loading the test strip.  I took the giraffe from her and said something like

"let's check your blood sugar" 
 
"what is it?"
 
"it's your giraffe"
 
"what?"
 
poked her finger, "a giraffe"
 
sucked up the blood with the strip, "oh, a giraffe?"
 
4....3....2....1, 265  "what does it do?"
 
"it's your baby, you got it from girl scouts"  I made the giraffe kiss her on the nose
 
smile-giggle
 
I pushed her over a little, handed her the giraffe and told her to go back to sleep
 
she hugged the giraffe close and rolled over
 
I gave her a bolus of insulin and covered her up whispered, "good night, I love you" I covered up Stasia in the bottom bunk, kissed her forehead and took myself to bed.
 
 

1 comment: