Kortnie

Kortnie
Kortnie at the 2011 JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, Tempe Town Lake, Tempe, AZ

Friday, October 15, 2010

Brownie's are 419 Carbs

This morning my 3 year old son asked me if we could make brownie's. I thought about it and we decieded that we'd make a batch of brownie's then we'd use cookie cutters to cut them into fun Halloween shapes. So, we get all the stuff out. Here we are at the counter we have our box of mix, veg oil, eggs, measuring cups, bowl and spoon. We pour the mix in the bowl and I pick up the box to see what to do next. My sweet 3 year old (non-D) is standing on a chair right next to me. He takes that brownie mix box out of my hand and puts his face right up next to the box and says to me "It says 4-19 carbs mom". He doesn't read, he just likes to pretend.

The point I am trying to make is that I find it amazing how much my 3 year old boy knows about "diabetes stuff". It's a "good" feeling to know that Kortnie's Diabetes is a family affair around our house and not just something for she and I to deal with.

But on the flip side, I also find it a little sad. Sad that my 3 year old knows that we "worry" about carbs, sad that he also comes up to me and says "Korky's being mean, you make her check her blood", sad that he knows he can't just have the random juice box he finds in the car because it's Korky's medicine. I find it sad and scary that my older daughter (almost 8) came running in the door one afternoon and told me, "Kortnie's low I need to take her a snack!", and she grabs a slim jim and a water bottle and then runs off again before I had the time to tell her that slim jim's and water are free snacks and what she really needs is a juice box and why the heck don't they just give her the glucose tabs that are in her backpack! They were on their way home from school, Kortnie was sitting on the curb about 6 houses away and of course I followed Anastasia right out the door, juice box and car keys in hand, she was 135 when she left school and in the 15 minutes they had been walking and messing around (it's only a 10 minute walk, but you know kids they have to stop and visit with every dog or friend they see) she dropped down to a 67. Anyways, I just find it a little sad that not only does Diabetes affect Kortnie's life, but it affects the lives of my 2 other kids in big ways too. I am also proud of my 2 non-D kids for taking it all in stride, loving and supporting their sister, learning about her disease and making efforts to help her.

We are about 3 weeks away from our first D-aversary. We've come a long way baby, and I'm not too sure I'm happy about it.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you have GREAT kids. They are full of love and compassion. Something to be proud of for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great family :) I'm always shocked at how "normal" diabetes lingo flows out of everyone's mouth around here....but....to my younger 2, this is all they've ever known. It IS normal to them. My 4 year old can check her older sister's blood sugar. Nuts.

    Every year, I'm amazed at how far we've come. It's hard to believe we've surpassed the 5 year mark...but...at the same time it's hard to believe how far we've come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny...I just posted on my "guilt" with Bridget (my non-d kiddo). It is an amazing thing to watch the siblings take it all in stride, to learn "d", to study it, to raise money for a cure, to raise awareness about it...all of these things My Bridget does. I still cannot help but wonder is she will need a little bit of therapy after being raised with me and "d"...LOL.

    The 1st year is a huge milestone.

    ReplyDelete