Kortnie

Kortnie
Kortnie at the 2011 JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, Tempe Town Lake, Tempe, AZ

Friday, November 5, 2010

Suggestions?

Our (I say ours, but really it's just Korky's isn't it, sometimes I feel like T1D is my disease too, maybe it is since I am the Pancreas for now) 1st D-aversary is coming up soon. The date is November 8th, a Monday or we could go with Sunday the 7th, which is the actual day of the week Korky was dx'd. I told Korky yesterday that her first D-aversary was coming up, she asked me, "what's that?" I told her it means she'd had T1D for a year now and it was kind of like the 1st birthday of her D. She got all excited and said to me, "are we gonna have a party?" I'm thinking to myself, you want to celebrate this and I want to be depressed about it. Hmmm, so I told her I don't know what we're going to do for it, my first instinct is to have a giant CarbFest, like Pizza for dinner and DQ Blizzards for dessert. However, that's not really too practical, first off Pizza Hut and DQ Blizzards for a family of 5 is not all that cost effecient and secondly, I am sure I don't want to be in the mode of battling major highs all night long, and thirdly probably most importantly, it just doesn't sound all that healthy. Catch 22 though, you gotta let loose sometimes and let kids be kids right?

So my question to you "seasoned" D moms (and Dads and those who actual have the dreaded D) is this something to celebrate? What do you do to commemorate the occasion? Do you just let it go by unannouced? Part of me just wants to be sad about it, but another part of me thinks it is worth celebrating, we've lived with this for a year, it's been a major challenge for all of us, and I think we're doing pretty good. Kortnie wants to do something fun to mark the 1st year, so I guess we should. I just don't really have any ideas of what to do. I'd love to hear if and how you all "celebrate" your D-aversaries.

2 comments:

  1. First off, I'd like to start out by saying the first year Diaversary was hard for me...b/c like you are saying, I just wanted to stick my head in the sand and ignore it and be depressed. But, with kids being kids and all...we had ice cream instead. We RARELY have ice cream so that is what we usually do on Diaversarsies...or we go out to eat...and talk about life with "d" or just life...and just enjoy the moment. I think whatever you do...focus on the positive, how far you as a family have come, and enjoy the time together.

    I did find I was in quite a funk for a good year and a half after Joe's diagnosis...I am just telling you this so that you know that if you are still not 100% you...that it is on the "normal" spectrum. Not that you can use "me" as a measurement of normal - haha.

    Happy 1st and I look forward to hearing/reading about it.

    (((HUGS))) and love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find posts all over the place about this. Some peeps go to the movies, some have Ice cream for lunch.

    I choose not to celebrate because it is right by my non d's b day and I feel like I would just be taking more away from her.

    I think if you have any reason to celebrate LIFE... you should jump at it. Why not~right?

    ReplyDelete