Kortnie

Kortnie
Kortnie at the 2011 JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes, Tempe Town Lake, Tempe, AZ

Friday, November 2, 2012

The Weirdest Thing about Kortnie's Health #NHBPM Day 2

Day 2 in the Wego Health National Health Blog Post Month.

Today's prompts were write about the weirdest thing about your health, or find a quote and use it as inspiration.

I'm going to write about the weird things. 

Where do I start?  It's been said that Diabetes is a fickle bitch, and that is the truth! Fickle bitch could easily translate into weird though, couldn't it?

Diabetes means fluctuating blood sugars and fluctuating blood sugars can produce all kinds of craziness.  One minute Kortnie will be my sweet 'normal' girl and the next she can be a raging maniac!  You can look at her wrong and she'll just start crying and/or stomping around  and I'm like "what the heck, go check your blood sugar!" 

One time we were driving in the car, we had just left the bank and were heading to Walmart, less than a mile drive I'd say.  She was fine!  I was talking to her and all of a sudden she slumped over and passed out!  That was some freaky weird scary stuff, I quickly pulled over and her blood sugar was like 35 or something ridiculously low like that.  No rhyme or reason, I mean she was fine 1 minute previous.

The crazy unexepected-no reason at all-high and low blood sugars-they give the weirdest reactions and they are the scariest, and they happen at any time, no rhyme or reason, just because diabetes is a fickle weird bitch.

Another weird thing, for me at least, is that I am literally pumping my kid full of a man made hormone all day every day 24/7.  She is connected to an insulin pump ALL of the time, and that pump gives her man-made insulin every 3 minutes.  Her doctor, her school nurse, he father, and I are always changing up her ratios and rethinking her insulin doses and tweaking it.  Too much of that insulin can kill her pretty quickly, not enough can cause major damage and kill her within a few days.  I have always been the mom who relied on chicken soup, orange juice, water, and rest as a cure all, I avoided doctors offices and medicines as much as I could, and now I am the mom pumping my kid full of a man-made hormone all day, everyday.  That is weird for me. 

That being said, here is the bonus quote that I need to inspire me



Diabetes Fact of the Day

Type 1 diabetes strikes both children and adults at any age. It comes on suddenly, causes dependence on injected or pumped insulin for life, and carries the constant threat of devastating complications.

No comments:

Post a Comment